Sunday, February 18, 2007

Nuts and Bolts

I have taken the plunge and upgraded my Blogger account to the new version, albeit with some trepidation. It seems to be a oneway door, and even though reports from the other side were favorable, I wasn't sure I was ready. No turning back now...

So far I haven't switched to the new template system, which is supposedly the best part, although I did try it on a test blog. Essentially all the customization I've done to the original template breaks at that point.

One aspect of this site, largely invisible, is that I have gone to quite a bit of trouble to make it compliant with standards for web pages (specifically, "XHTML 1.0 Transitional"). Although Google as a search engine supposedly much prefers compliant sites, the unmodified Blogger templates were riddled with non-compliant code. Go figure.

Just changing my account from Old Blogger to New Blogger, the main page went from zero validation errors to 21. The shift to the new template code will mean hundreds of errors even before any of my customizations are restored. I'm no expert at this, so this could take awhile. The best way to do it would be to regain compliance before adding the customizations back in. However, I don't want to wait to get them back, and just redoing them all will already be time-consuming.

So at some point in the near future DLMSY may get a new, not necessarily improved, look that will continue to evolve.

This page is from the original Don't Let Me Stop You blog. We have moved to a new site: Visit DLMSY on WordPress.


Return to main page of Don't Let Me Stop You